Friday, November 7, 2014

Post 2: Apartment Hunting in Germany

So when I arrived in Bremen my original planned living accommodations did not work out as planned, so I suddenly found myself in need of an apartment. I looked all over for different places to living in Bremen. I searched for flat-shares, individual flats, dormitories and student houses. I was lucky enough to be able to stay with a student from Bremen who had studied at Hobart during this time, so I wasn’t stuck at a hotel, but it was still stressful not knowing where I would be living for the next year. Although I wouldn’t want to do it again anytime soon, this experience provided me with a valuable, and unexpected, lesson on life in Germany. Seeing as I have never apartment hunted in the US, I can’t compare, but there are some things about the process in a German university town that I really found interesting.
            First off, there are an amazing variety of choices and option available, and there are not that many that are really what you need, so most of the work is sifting through the many pages of ads for places to live until you can get some places actually worth finding. I had always heard about “apartment hunting” and I had imagined the difficulty would be finding any apartment, but it is really more about finding the right one amongst all the others.
            Secondly what was, to me, very interesting was that if I were going to be sharing a flat with people they would interview me first. We would go out for coffee or hangout for a while after they showed me the apartment, just to get to know me. I found this surprising, but I suppose it makes sense. If you are going to live with someone you want to know who they are first. One thing I found out after the fact is that they often hold these interviews with multiple prospective tenants, so they can pick who they want.

            In the end I decided to stay in a studentenwohnheim right on the University grounds. Although the Uni doesn’t own it there are tons of students living here, and the close walk to class is great. That’s all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment